In the summer of 1954, an obedience training Club was formed and the individuals met at our local park, Mill Creek. In the fall of 1954, the group became known as the Youngstown All Breed Training Club. In early 1955, the Club became incorporated under this same name. In the early 1990’s, the Club applied for and was granted 501c status. The Club has been located in many places since their start in a park. They were in the GF building in Liberty, the Amory in Austintown, a small manufacturing plant in North Jackson, and finally in 1995, a building built specifically for the Club to lease.
Today, the Club has grown from a small group of individuals to a much larger one, with nearly 200 members. Classes are available from early puppy socialization, to advanced training for agility, conformation, rally, and obedience competition. In obedience alone, the Club instructs over 1,000 students per year. All of our instructors are volunteers. There is not one paid position at YABTC.
The perfect building, built just for YABTC is just shy of 10,000 square feet, and has become too small to accommodate the volume of students and the new larger ring sizes required by the AKC. The Club intends to build a larger building, with outdoor trial and training rings, and a pond so that classes will be possible for water rescue, hunting, earthwork, tracking and herding.
The Finance Committee has been revived, and fundraising is one of the top goals. We have finished paying off the loan for the 8 acres of property we purchased in 2005. The construction project will begin in the summer of 2013, with a fall completion date. The new building will measure about 105' wide by 175' in length. It will be about double the size of the rented building.